By Carmen Scott, RHN
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 bunches of green onions
- 1/2 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 bunches of basil
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- • 2 bunches of dill
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
Instructions: Process ingredients in a food processor in order of hardest to softest, starting with green onion and red onion. Scoop into jar and seal and store in refrigerator for up to four days. Variations Add a different twist to your pesto with the following ideas:
- Blend in sundried or oven roasted tomatoes.
- Blend in roasted red peppers.
- Blend in fresh strawberries.
- Grate in a touch of lemon zest and lemon juice to taste.
- Swap half of the olive oil for truffle oil.
- Change up the proportions of the greens, putting more basil for a basil pesto, etc.
- At the end, blend in 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds for a different flavor and some crunch.
Ideas for adding pesto to foods
- Use as a pizza sauce in lieu of tomato sauce.
- Use as a sandwich spread. • Spread on toast, a scone or an English muffin
- Use in a pasta dish as the sauce.
- Mix into rice and veggie dishes.
- Drizzle over top of roasted root vegetables.
- Scoop inside a roasted potato for a flavourful twist.
Carmen Scott is a registered holistic nutritionist in British Columbia.