By Dr. Joël, ND
Veggies are a sure “Power Foods” way to kick start your health and energy. Popeye knew a thing or two when he turned to veggies to power up. Think about veggies as one of the body’s most efficient fuel sources – they are packed with energy-producing vitamins, minerals, protein, carbs and fats! Veggies fill you up without “filling you out” and they are one of the key secrets to the “Fountain of Youth”!
Eat a rainbow of veggies every day! Red: for ellagic acid for your heart; Orange for beta-carotene for your eyes and skin; yellow for citric acid to support digestion and detoxification; green for calcium and minerals for your bones; blue/purple: for the antioxidant anthocyanin for your mind and white for immunity and anti-cancer action.
Rainbow Layered Salad Bar
- 2 cups spiraled or shredded zucchini
- 1-14 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, assorted colors, sliced in half
- 1 small beet spiraled or shredded
- 1 cup baby spinach
Avocado Pesto Dressing:
- ¼ cup vegetable stock (low sodium, gluten free)
- ¼ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ¼ avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup basil, packed
- From the bottom working up layer a glass container with the ingredients in order above.
- To make dressing add vegetable stock, lemon juice, avocado, basil to a small blender, blend until smooth.
Power Foods 101 is written by Dr. Joël, ND. In this book Naturopathic Dr. Joël shares her knowledge gathered from her over 25 years in practice at her clinic Revivelife™; teaching at the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation (ORCF) training with world leaders in their field.
Power Foods 101 is in support of the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation. For more info visit www.powerfoods101.com